A workable solution to the DirectIP problem that Generals (and other NAT/Firewall-unfriendly games) has with Routers on Windows 2K/XP.
This is only meant to keep people playing UNTIL EAP releases a patch/fix to resolve this!
1) Right click on 'My Network Places' and click Properties.
2) Now right click on 'Local Area Network' and select Properties
3) Find the TCP/IP connection and click on Properties; if only one TCP/IP protocol is there use that, else use the TCP/IP protocol that is bound to your Network card. Now click on Properties.
3) This area requires you have your WAN IP Address, Subnet, DNS, and Gateway info. Do get this info run a DOS prompt, then type 'ipconfig /all' and copy the appropriate information down!
Note: If you use your WAN IP as your static IP number, Windows 2K/XP will say that your IP is already in use. Makes sense, the router is using it, and routing the information to your local IP.
4) Now, in the TCP/IP Properties, click on 'Use the following IP address' and enter in the information from the router.
Note: Do not enter your WAN IP address into the IP address field...leave that alone, but replace Subnet mask, default Gateway, and the perferred DNS server. *Do not click OK yet.*
5) After you have finished, click the Advanced button in the same menu where you just edited your computer to use a static IP.
6) Under IP settings, under IP addresses click on Add... now add your IP address and the Subnet mask of your WAN IP address. Note: *Be sure to look at your router for this information*. Now click on OK.
7) Check your internet, it should still be working.
8) Go into your game now (ie. Generals)
9) Click on 'Options' in the interface (ie. Generals).
10) Look for the online IP, click on the drop down menu and there should two IPs listed; your Local IP => 192.168.X.X and your WAN IP =>150.24.x.x. Select the WAN IP.
11) When you go into Direct Connect, your WAN IP should be there.
12) Make sure all your *NEEDED* ports are open!